The PPA is proud to open its 4th National Competition
to all Filipino artists
Contest is open to all Filipino Artists 18 years of age & above. Filipino Artists working or residing abroad are welcome to join the competition.
Theme: “Personal Paradise”
Your definition and concept of a happy and safe place
These difficult times devoid of close physical interactions can take a toll on our well-being. To cope, we retreat to our own “paradise”. This is our happy place, and our safe space where we find comfort and joy. It may be our own nook inside the house, a small crevice of a utopian universe within our minds, or perhaps, a not-so distant memory, or a grand vision for the future. Our personal paradise transcends the corporal and may be as limitless and boundless as we permit our imagination to be.
The theme may be expressed using representational means, depicting recognizable objects or events in the real world, usually easily recognizable (as opposed to abstract and non-representational). Representational styles include realism, impressionism, cubism, expressionism, surrealism, or any stylized approach, while the subject can range from portraits, figurative, landscapes, still life, depicting scenes in life or even imaginative and dream-like scenarios.
October 20, 2020 11:59 PM (2359H) Philippine time
ENTRY TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Only one entry per participant will be accepted.
- Entries should have been recently painted (Year 2020), unsigned, and have NOT been posted on any social media site.
- Entries must have the minimum size of 18 x 24 inches & maximum size of 20 x 26 inches. Sizes in-between the minimum & maximum sizes are acceptable.
- Painting orientation may be in portrait format (vertical) or landscape format (horizontal).
- Entries must be done in the following media only: hard or soft pastel, pastel pencil, chalk pastel, pan pastel, and oil pastel used on appropriate pastel surfaces such as sanded, boards or paper (e.g. UART, Canson Mi-Teintes, Strathmore Grandee, Fabriano Tiziano).
- The work’s final surface should have a minimum coverage of 80% in pastel.
- Underpainting using watercolor, ink, or any other media aside from pastel is NOT accepted. Experimental media and the use of soot will also NOT be accepted.
- All entries must be originally rendered in any pastel medium and not applied on top of a base photo, print, collage, ground on canvas, or any other special medium.
- Entries must be original. Concepts, ideas, and images must NOT be copied from other artist’s work, from published materials, downloaded from the internet or from all other reference materials that are not owned by the participant. Intellectual Property (IP) rules for visual arts will be applied. Plagiarism will not be tolerated.
Participants are required to send one (1) full and four (4) detailed photos of their works via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email Subject: PPA COMPETITION 2020
- Complete description of work: Title, Size, Medium, Year, Artist’s Name
- Brief explanation of the artist’s concept of their ‘Personal Paradise’ (100 words max).
- Images in .jpeg format
- Required image size is at least 2000 pixels on the long side (if it is a horizontal image) or 2000 pixels tall if the artwork orientation is vertical.
- Files must have a resolution of at least 250 dpi and should not exceed 5MB.
- Regular general enhancements (e.g. saturation, contrast, resize) are allowed but only to adjust the picture to represent the actual colors of the work and to make it as close as possible to the real artwork
- Image manipulation and editing of the pictures to alter, rework, tweak or re-color the original artwork – are not allowed.
- Participants are required to send five clear photos of their work in progress from sketch to completion. Photos must show the base of the working surface (i.e. paper, board) as well as the sketch and underpainting, building up to its completion. You may also send a video of yourself working on the artwork. The video file will have a maximum of 5MB (30 sec – 1 minute video).
- Violation of the rules will disqualify your entry.
- When the violation of the rules or any fraudulent representation is deemed to have been committed any time during the screening, judging, or after the awarding, the award received will be revoked and the prize should be returned immediately. The Philippine Pastel Artists, Inc. will not condone any act of misrepresentation committed by any person.
SELECTION OF FINALIST
- Finalists will be informed by Email on or before Oct 27, 2020.
- All finalists will be required to send their artworks properly labeled with artist’s name and work details (title, size in inches, medium, year) to the following address on or before November 15, 2020 to:
PPA 4th National Pastel Competition
Unti 10E Seibu Tower, 24th St.
Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City
Metro Manila 1634
- Due to the pandemic and quarantine restrictions, courier services and deliveries may be slower than usual. Please give ample time for the shipping of your paintings and send them as early as possible, especially if it will come from outside of Metro Manila.
- Cost of sending their entries to PPA will be shouldered by the artist.
- Works should be unframed, protected by wax or glassine paper, and placed inside a tube container.
- All finalists’ entries will be included in the Annual Pastel Convention & Exhibition (online)
- All NCR-based finalists must retrieve their works after the annual convention.
- Finalists’ works from the provinces will be returned by PPA to the artists by courier service. PPA will shoulder courier expenses for the return of the artworks.
- Official announcement of winners will be held on the last day of the 5th Philippine Pastel Convention which is on November 29, 2020.
- The artworks of the major prize winners will become the property of PPA Inc.
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING
- Style and Technique: 25%
The technical rendition of the artwork that demonstrates deep understanding, effective control and mastery of the media.
- Composition and Creativity: 25 %
Effectively utilizes knowledge of the artistic elements and principles of design, to effectively utilize the entire space and communicate a visual idea.
- Originality and Uniqueness: 25 %
Displays unusual, innovative, and novel ideas that demonstrate how the artist added their own unique approach to communicate their concept.
- Visual Impact: 25 %
The overall impression that shows unique organization of art elements, content, and execution. To create a striking and memorable work, and the ability of the artwork to reveal the theme clearly – its idea of a “Personal Paradise”.
WINNERS AND PRIZES
There will be 3 major prizes (1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place) and 10 Honorable Mention Awards. We will also have a Special Award from our Sponsors.
All winners and honorable mention winners will be given a certificate.
Premium grade art materials
Premium grade art materials
Premium grade art materials
CONSOLATION PRIZES for 10 HONORABLE MENTION
Certificate, art supplies and materials from sponsors
For further inquiries, email PPA